[compost_tea] Re: Still about pre-activation

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:43:37 -0000
--Here in Kansas the daytime highs are getting up around 90 (and will
be a 100F soon)and in the compost covered with a breathable tarp, I'm
seeing fungi for the first time. First summer I've looked for it by
the way. Dennis Kemnitz

- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Scott Alexander" <daylily@b...>
wrote:
> . These containers are
> > placed in a 90 liter plastic bath with about 3 inches of water
covering
> the
> > fish tank heater that keeps the water at 25 C.We have had frost
for the
> last
> > two or three weeks so it is a bit chilly around here
>
> Very chilly here in Queensland as well.
> Re heating the compost - i did a couple of trials with an old
electric
> blanket (waterproofed!) in a shed on a concrete floor (just in case
it
> caught on fire!) and found that the lowest setting was just right.
I made a
> "tunnel" and placed the 10kg of compost & oatmeal inside it on a
flattish
> tray about 5" deep. Three days later there was fungi growth  but
not a great
> as described by others. I think I need to heat it for 4 or 5 days.
There
> were a few holes in the compost so obviously the set-up is very
attractive
> to rats!
> Scott Alexander

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor