Re: [compost_tea] Building a Brewer

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:04:21 -0700 (PDT)

You don''t have to fly blind, Jon. Capture the air in a very empty garbage bag for 1 a minute. Stuff the trapped air in a box so you can get useful dimensions. Should be most of 2 cubic foot of air for a good brewer in the size range you are looking at. 1.7 of a cf would be enough. Pipe the air to the bottom of a mesh "sock". Add a gallon of compost plus kelp and humic acid nutrients. There are many recipes. Release the air with 4 - 1/16" holes in a cap on the 1/2" or 3/4" pvc down pipe. Good idea to weight the pipe so it won't float. After 4 hours operating this way take the pipe out of the 'sock', drop the pipe to the bottom of your tank and let the aeration continue for your cycle.

Dispose of the compost from the sock back into your compost pile, mixing it in and aerating the compost at the same time. It may have more microbes and more nutrients in it than when you took it from the pile.

Preactivation - of your compost is the usual, pre-activate to get the fungi numbers up in the compost before you try to extract them from your compost. If it ain't in the compost it ain't gonna be in the ACT ( I like the word Ain't. It makes understqnding so quick. )

I leave a few voids in my description so you can enjoy the fun of doing it yourself. Drill holes in the bottom or in a plate on the bottom? Your air supply will be so gentle the extraction and circulation may be poor. It wiil be more fun to clean of course. You might be able to spend an hour at it instead of a measly 1/2 mnute cleaning the system described. Grin.

Bo's puts all the stuff together and has it for sale at $ 250 including the right size pump, 'sock' pvc, vinyl and brass fittings, drilled and cut for a 10 to 30 g tank. . If you have a good pump the rest is easy and costs very little. Have fun. Would you let me know how you do yours and how well it works for you? This whole affair is more fun than profitable so helping others get into this magic and watching the results we all get is way over half the benefit. Bob .

. I plan on lining the bottom of the can
> with 3/4 pvc with many small holes diller into it. If you can add
> anything construtive to this design please let me know.
> I am also looking for tea recipes for vegtable applications.
> Thanks Jon
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Terence Dodge
Soil Husbandman