Re: [compost_tea] Building a Brewer

From: John Stoughton <yooperjon66_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:11:56 -0700 (PDT)

T Dodge <tdodge_at_spiritone.com> wrote:Hi Jon

Well with a recirculating pump (presumption) you will get probably low
numbers of fungi (this presumes you have fungi in the compost at all)
do to shearing action in the pump mechanism and you want to grow
vegetables and if it is summer where you are (this is a international
list somewhat) then using a small amount of soluble kelp as a primary
feed stock would be a place to start. So depending on your elevation
and the pumps ability to push liquid about given what ever the air
temperature is during the whole brew cycle (indoor or outdoor, if
outdoor direct sun or shade?) then after 24 to 48 hours draw off a
ounce or 20 ml. and put it in a clean capable container (allow a 5:1
ratio of head room for air, pop bottle size available?) and let it "the
sample" sit out of the sun for 24 hours, open and examine the bouquet.
How does it smell. Apply the balance to the garden and see what
happens. Take notes. Get back to us.

On 2004, Jul , at 5:22 PM, Jon wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> I joined this group last March and I have been busy building our new
> garden (60 x 60). Now that everything is up and growing and the
> compost is cooking I am turning my attention towards building a
> brewer. So far I have a 35 gallon pvc type trash can and an air pump
> from a conair bath spa with a high / low setting. It does not give
> air flow info on the motor or the box it came with so it will be
> trial and error for a while. I plan on lining the bottom of the can
> with 3/4 pvc with many small holes diller into it. If you can add
> anything construtive to this design please let me know.
> I am also looking for tea recipes for vegtable applications.
> Thanks Jon
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Terence Dodge
Soil Husbandman
Certified Soil Food Web Advisor
Mycoremediationist
www.desperateAg.net
503.516.4794

Thanks T Dodge,

I just ordered a gallon of liquid kelp from Gardens Alive. The pump I intend on useing pumps alot of heated air about 98 degrees. I am thinking about trying the pump on the low setting first. It will be at least a week before my compost is ready for my first batch. I am still reading about and looking for a good recipes. Thanks Jon