[compost_tea] USNOP Example

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:25:39 -0700
Changing subject here as there's getting to be to many Re's... Thinking
about bad compost tea testing.

> Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:14:37 -0700
> From: David Anderson <danderson_at_backpackgeartest.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: USNOP non-example? - ICTC
> You're getting there. And I think that a test like this would go a long
> way towards getting their attention. It will also help the machine
> makers understand what needs to be done, and will lead to better machines.

I want more than their attention I want their support.  And Dave, you seem
to be suggesting "what needs to be done" is not known.  There are many
machines, both manufactured and home-built, all around the world, that can
handle pathogens.  And the variables are known, good compost being primary.
Sufficient air, judicious nutrient use, citrates and saponin are also
clearly in the mix for pathogen suppression.

> But you are only sabotaging one aspect of the brewing process. Are there
> any "user error" problems with the various brewers that will also need
> to be addressed?

"Sabotaging?"  Are you sure you meant to put it that way?:)  I think of it
as preparing.  A test of tea machines is bound to happen, one way or
another, seems to me.  Why not just do that?  Why not set some standards?

It wouldn't be free, but it would be another opportunity for tea machine
makers and others concerned about pathogens to get their arms around it.  A
supply of bad compost (and bio-hazard shipping!), a set of process, machine,
nutrient specs, test protocols, and a record in a $250 package, maybe.
Perhaps an SFI or other lab project.

As for user error, manufacturers can do (and have done) a lot to ensure
people don't screw up, and personally, knowing how much organic
certification takes, I'm going to trust they'll figure it out quickly.  I
expect an alar-like thing is more likely as a staged agribiz incident.

This problem was invented by NOP and patrons but biology is not on their
side.  There's nothing in compost tea we don't encounter every day if we eat
or grow food.

And thanks for more good sprout info, but I still don't buy that there's no
place for a range of teas or preps for sprouts.  I'm not advocating it btw
just questioning a rote ban and trusting people are experimenting.
Appreciate your insights.  If compost tea needs to be a food additive, so be
it.  I think it'll pass muster even there, done well.  I've even ingested
bad tea without complications.

Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here