Re: [compost_tea] Building a Brewer

From: John Stoughton <yooperjon66_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:28:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dodge
I am already useing a digital thermeter as you suggest. Our water here is untreated from our atrsian well around 7.0 -7.2 on the PH scale with the alkalinity near 80. I Checked the temp at the tap and its about 50 deg. The soil PH was 5.5 - 5.8 before limeing this spring, and is now at 6.5 - 6.8, and 62 deg.in the shade. Its sand loam that needs more organic matter applyed to it. I will give PH , temp updates when I do my trial run. Thanks Jon

T Dodge <tdodge_at_spiritone.com> wrote:
Hi Jon

If you have or can procure a hi/lo thermometer so as to monitor the
range it would be helpful. The digital variety can often be had in
kitchen ware departments for $15 to $25 (US currency), the digital is
preferred with a remote sensor so it can be left in the vessel. You can
anticipate a temperature increase when you actually brew because of the
biological activity in a active aerobic environment. What is the
starting pH and is it well, rain or municipal water and if so is it
treated and with what?

On 2004, Jul , at 2:59 PM, John Stoughton wrote:

> Hey Dodge,
> My wife and I live in Upper Michigan along the Lake Superior Watershed.
> I am not sure about the temp that the pump I have operates at 98 deg.
> was a best guess.
> When I assemble the brewer I will do a test run and post the results.
> Air volume and temp on a four hour batch of strait water along with
> the soil temp.

Terence Dodge
Soil Husbandman
Certified Soil Food Web Advisor