Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: Re: USNOP Example

From: David Anderson <danderson_at_backpackgeartest.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:27:20 -0700
soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:

> Typically when people talk about "pathogen-free" compost, they mean
> human pathogen-free.  That is, E. coli free.  And we see E. coli-"free"
> compost quite often.  It just means that no E. coli were detected in the
> testing done.  which means, the other human pathogens should not have
> been able to survive either.

Hi Elaine,

That is pretty much what I expect that it meant.

I'm fine with "no pathogens detected", but I don't like "pathogen-free"
because it is too much like marketing-speak, and it most likely is not
true. From the way that you put things in this post, I suspect that you
understand my objection to the term "pathogen-free". It is linguistally
taking one step beyond what the facts support.

Thanks,
Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here