Re: [compost_tea] tropical soils

From: David Anderson <danderson_at_backpackgeartest.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:11:03 -0700
soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:

> That's an interesting viewpoint.
>
> Per species, yes, the buffalo have higher biomass than any individual species of bacteri or fungi.

One of those entertaining discussions for those of us that are up in the
early morning hours :-)

> But, microbes have much higher biomass than mammals in the prairie.

Now that isn't quite fair either. Mammals are only one class, whereas
microbes take up several complete phila and divisions. And you really
should be fair to buffalo, because you don't want to piss one off. I've
seen what a slightly annoyed one did to a pickup. The pickup lost.

Did I mention the early morning bit. I think I'm getting a little punchy
and need to get to bed. LOL

> If we add in the microbes in the rumen of the buffalo, then the microbes win even more hands-down.  But not on a per species basis.....
>
> Ah, terminology and spin, don't we love it!
>
> Crushed oyster shell is great for addign to soil - it's calcium carbonate, but much is chelated, and so easier for the bacteria and fungi to use than purely inorganic calcium carbonate.

But they wont let us keep the oyster shell.  You have to shuck them on
the beach and leave the shell as substrate for the oyster spat. I'm
hoping that clam, mussel and crab shell (which we can keep) will be
almost as good. Of course, I could always go and just spend the $10 on a
sack of crushed oyster, but there is no way that it can be as good as
the fresh shell that you get yourself by digging in the mud.

It is kind of interesting that most of my hobbies revolve around eating
and playing in the dirt.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here