[compost_tea] Suggestion to the group, Re: CT in the Muck

From: urbanworms <urbanworms_at_houston.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:08:05 -0000
Dear Everyone,

Muck is soil that has not acquired structure. So what do you do with Muck?
Add a bunch of critters, feed them and put them to work building soil structure.
Results: health, growth and bountiful harvest.

Perhaps the CT group could use a touch of structure at this point. Not much,
though. It's pretty obvious we are a loosely held group of individualisitic
individuals. I hate structure and bureaucracy so much that I sometimes forget
that a little bit of self imposed structure is needed to keep things rolling
forward. This group is doing good things but it has greater potential. Meeting
that potential becomes very important when you consider our holy quest.
(That "holy quest" comment is  only half sarcasm -- the other half is
fanaticism.)

Following is a suggestion for adding a touch of structure to our undertaking. It
is loosely based on how I see academia dealing with "camps."  (anyone from
academia should correct my assumptions since I'm just an outside observer in
their world.)

Academia has a formal process of argumentation using the scientific process,
publication and peer review. It certainly doesn't prevent emotional reactions,
but it does impose a structure that moves the science along, regardless.

As a group, we could request (definitely not require) that members who have
been around for a while contribute data of some form to the rest of the group.

A "newbie member" could acquire a new status of "contributing member"
once she/he submits data from a field test  or some other type of study.  Other
members could help with suggestions for study subjects and design as well
as provide comments and encouragement as updates are provided. We all
need to be testing things for our own benefit anyway.

There are multiple possibilities for other, higher member-status ratings  to
recognize those of you who have been the true mentors of the list. But we
need to keep things as simple as possible.

(Someone should also come up with staus titles that are a whole lot more
creative and fun than my lame  "contributing member."     : - )

This new structure/process would be helpful to me in more than one way. I
tend to get things done when I have milestones and clear expectations from
those I am working with. And working with/for the group would motivate me to
get off my butt and do the testing that I already need to be doing for myself.

Another consideration is that "contributing member" status could be required
before emotional spouting is allowed.
                                               --------
That's enough for now. My brain is drained. It's time for others to chime in or
tell me to shut up.

John

Urban Worms Recycling &
Green-n-Healthy Organics

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Jeff Lowenfels <jeff@g...> wrote:
> No, I am not going to let folks get away with saying this list should
> go away and has been mired in the muck....  that is just simple B.S.
> If you don't want to stick around, then leave, but don't suggest that
> there haven't been plenty of useful posts from plenty of people in
> addition to Doc Elaine.  That is also B.S.
> There is plenty of give and take and on this list and plenty to learn
> from it.
>
> If you are offended by my comments on soil soup's machine, refute them
> or get over it. If you think Plate tests are great, the defend them.
> And if you don't want to stay on the list, then leave.  And, most
> important, if YOU want to moderate this list, just let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff
>

> Plant a Row in your garden to feed the hungry. Join Plant A Row for the
> Hungry. Ask me how. www.gwaa.org/Par/index.html

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links