[compost_tea] Re: pasture exp.

From: grazebeef <timj_at_ncat.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:25:24 -0000
I'd like some clarification on how or better yet what was done on
these pastures to elicit such a tremendous response. Were the pastures
grazed by similar animals at the same time? Or was this a timeline
study where gain was measured over time on the same group of animals
as they spent time on the different pastures?  if so, when did you
start and when did you end the experiment. What size were the animals
and what was the predominate forage?  Increased protein levels on
already good forage is not necessarily a good thing to have for
growing animals. Energy is the key to good gain on most forages. What
types of soil are you grazing on and when did it last have any
nutrients?  How much CT was applied when you did apply it?  Also, how
did you conclude that CLA was improved? Exactly what do you mean, was
the overall quantity of CLA improved versus untreated, was a control
even used, how many measures were taken to base that conclusion on?
What were the overall levels of fatty acids in the lean tissue, both
before and after treatment?

I'm not from Missouri, but on some of these types of claims, I've
gotta say, show me.

Thanks for the time and info.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> OK, hold on.  Let's get the data right.
>
> Conventional fields, typical weight gain was 0.5 pounds of weight
gain per animal per day.

> Three applications of compost tea last summer, and the animals were
up to 2 to 2.5 pounds of weight gain per animal per day.  Reduced
water use was noted, fewer weeds, increased forage quality, increased
protein levels in the desired pasture grasses, including bermuda
(Tifton as I recall), eastern grama grass, and one other pasture
species, that I don't recall.

> Of course, Ross Farm did not stop the tea at that point.  Betsy is
still applying, and this year, they have pastures with up to 4 pounds
weight gain per animal per day.

> Not ALL of the pastures are that good, but where the tea has been
put on consistently, they are having these results, with improved CLA,
and Omega 3 in the meat.

> But, the person to go to for this help is Betsy, and you can find
her contact information on the SFI website.  But please, e-mail her if
you just want verification.  The phone is getting to be too much.

> Almost all of the Soil Foodweb Advisors are getting results like
this, but in different systems, and in different parts of the world.
Not all, because some of them don't listen to what is required to get
the biology going.  If you don't do what is necessary to get the
organisms happy, you don't get the results I talk about.

> Some people listen better than others.
>
> --
> Elaine Ingham
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc.