Re: [compost_tea] Re: pasture exp.

From: David Anderson <danderson_at_backpackgeartest.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:12:12 -0700
grazebeef wrote:
> I'm not from Missouri, but on some of these types of claims, I've
> gotta say, show me.

Ya know, I really had to laugh when I read this.

It made me think of prof from UoW that wrote up some stuff against CT in
her newsletter about how there was no "real science" supporting CT and
that all the evidence was anecdotal. Then she want on with her proof
that it does not work based on her own anecdotal evidence.

In other words, my anecdotal evidence is science, and yours is heresy.

The truth is that all anecdotal evidence and observation IS still
science. The only value to controlled studies is to validate experience.
In fact, most studies done in biology are uncontrolled studies because
it is difficult or impossible to set up the proper habitat in a
controlled situation.

Don't discount the experiment just because it did not meet (or is that
meat) all the requirements of a controlled test. What you should do is
take that little bit of information that you gleaned here and set aside
a pasture of your own for experimenting for a couple of years.

This way, you will be adding to the science, and if it does seem to be
working out, you will be ahead of the game. If it does not, it isn't
likely to be much worse than the cattle raised in your other pastures.

As to the CLAs and Omega-3s, it is my understanding that you don't
really need to be concerned with this if you send the cattle to a
feedlot before slaughter. The numbers drop like a rock for grain-fed
beef. And I'm sure that the feedlot stress doesn't help things either.

On the other hand, If you can get a 4x increase in the growth rate by
having healthier feed, that would be worth it in itself.

Either way, I hope you you keep your healthy skepticism for the "other
side" as well.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here