Re: [compost_tea] soil chemistry facts

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:33:23 -0700

My experience is that if you get the soil biology right, there is no need t=
o add any further minerals. In tests I did, the CEC remained the same afte=
r a long period without the addition of minerals. Tradition states that th=
e plants should have used up the available minerals and there should have b=
een a deficit which means adding minerals and other nutrients.

It is difficult to remember that when dealing with biology, you need to thi=
nk differently from the ways you were taught or the indications from labs a=
nd manufacturers. Lab data has to be intrepreted differently because lab d=
ata, for the most part, doesn't take into consideration healthy biological =
activity. Soil analyses only look for amounts not the ability to create am=
ounts.

Think of it this way. You take a soil test. It shows low in say Ca. It d=
oesn't show that you have a warehouse full of Ca that will be applied in th=
e next week. You have to think of healthy biology like a warehouse full of=
 nutrients and minerals that are only made when the plants need them. Ther=
e is no resevoire in the soil because that isn't the way nature works. It'=
s more like a direct pipeline to the warehouse: The plant needs something a=
nd it sends out messengers. The bacteria uses the messengers and as a bypr=
oduct produces the mineral/nutrient the plant needs. The plant uses the by=
product and stops sending out messengers until it needs the nutrient again.

Now, this all takes time. It takes a certain amount of time for the biolog=
y of a soil to change and stay healthy over a long term. If you absolutely=
 have to have it tomorrow for what ever reason, using compost tea to restor=
e your soil biology might not fit into the deadline you are faced with. In=
 that case, it is probably prudent to directly apply minerals/nutreints to =
solve the immediate problem. To avoid having to do emergency type actions =
in the future, you should start on a program that reestablishes the soild b=
iology and fungi consistent with your local area. When you have that done,=
 you will be surprised at how little you have to do to the soil to keep it =
healthy.

I have a city park going on three years with nothing added but water and a =
shot of compost tea twice a year and it is the healthiest park in the city.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE