Re: [compost_tea] compost courses

From: T Dodge <tdodge_at_spiritone.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:53:26 -0700
Hi L. Blair

That is a fine temp. for most weed seeds in the interior of a
pile/windrow. If maintained for  3 days or maybe 4 and then the outer
is turned into pile/windrow too get those external weed seeds that did
not get up to the interiors 135 F., after that heating phase do check
the moisture so as to support the bacteria and fungi that will be
growing in the pile/windrow after temperature peak.

On 2004, Sep 1, , at 2:34 PM, jallan6977 wrote:

>    I thought I needed to add water to my pile to get that one drip per
> fistfull.  I did and all I got was cooler and heavier compost.  I went
> back to adding none and things heated up real well.  135 degrees.
>
> L Blair wrote:
>
>> Thanks Terence;
>> Yes, I got caught out by the Auckland climate last summer.  I made a
>> heap
>> during a dry spell.  Then after a week there was a bit of rain.  I
>> thought
>> 'that'll keep the heap damp'.  Overnight there was a deluge, followed
>> by
>> weeks of wet.  It was too late to cover it by the time I realised I
>> needed
>> to.
>> Regards,
>> Lynton