Re: [compost_tea] Another Newbie

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:07:32 EDT

So George, with respect to the adulteration process, what do you think needs
to be done to prevent it from happening?

People will try what different folks suggest, and when it doesn't work,
hopefully they won't throw out the baby with the bath water, but unstead say, hum,
maybe so-and-so doesn't know what they are talking about, we'll try this other
way of making compost tea.

That's why we need to have people reporting back their positive results, and
their negative results. When did things not work? Can we figure out why?

People try cheap, incorrect ways of doing compost tea, end up killing a few
plants, or not getting any results, and then realize that wasn't the right way
to do things. They come back, and try again. Until they get good plant

Each person's back yard is different too - what works in one place may not be
right in another place. If we get too adamant that there's only one way to
make tea, we stiffle innovation.

So I point out what we know about making good tea. Aerobic compost, aerobic
brewing, diversity, make sure you don't add too many foods, but you add enough
to select for the growth of beneficials, water quality has to be paid
attention to, cleaning is very important, no bio-film development, active organisms
are required for foliar sprays. I'm sure I forgot a few things there, but you
get the drift. There are parameters we have to recognize, we don't have to be
tyrannical about all the details.

But I do object to people who have to put-down science, or put-down a need to
understand what we are doing. Data are required. You need to know.

We developed the qualitative way to assess tea, or compost, and maybe soil,
so it isn't so expensive to determine Excellent, great, ok, or bad.

It took alot of work to develop that understanding. Lots of data and lots of
testing. but once you begin to understand what is going to work for you,
then you don't have to keep testing so carefully. But just at first, you need to
spend the time learning how to do it right, and do a little testing. OK?

And if you have any ideas on how to curb the adulteration, I'd sure like to
hear about them!

Elaine