Re: [compost_tea] Drip irrigation

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:56:51 EDT

Hi Clay -

I'm jumping into this topic without going back the whole week I've been under
the weather, so I hope I don't repeat something someone else said....

We don't dilute compost tea. You apply enough compost tea that the organisms
in your tea adequate covers leaf surfaces, or adequately increases the
biology in the soil that the benefits you want from the organisms is achieved.

Based on lots of testing, we find that the organism densities you need to get
teh positive responses you want are those we recommend on SFI reports. When
you send a sample into SFI, the report comes back with the desired ranges in
the last row on the form. You can compare your actual biomass or activity with
what we have seen is needed to have all the foodweb benefits you can get.

If any thing is too low, you aren't going to get all the benefits. You may
get partial improvement, but you won't get everything.

The rates of tea recommended are based on having biomass and activity are the
needed levels.

And then, for soil, the application rate is 20 gal per ac (100 L/HA).

For foliar applications, 5 gal/ac (25 L/HA) for each 6 foot height of canopy.

If you need more liquid in order to apply these amounts of tea, you add water
(no chlorine, no preservatives, etc) to make up the amount you need for the
sprayer you use.

This is NOT a dilution. 5 gallons of water per acre is needed to get leaf
surfaces covered

. the dilution rate you may be using for compost tea-do you dilute it because
you are using it everyday?

You should not have to use tea every day. The organisms establish and
survive on the leaves, so monthly spraying, unless you have a disease problem. Then
you need to protect the not-infected leaf surfaces weekly until the disease
is not longer infecting.

2. other additives you may be using in fertigation (what dilution)- for
improved soil health as oppossed to just feeding plants

You don't do fertigation when you are using compost tea. No need. The
biology sollubilizes nutrients from the soil, and makes those nutrients available
to the plants. The compost provides the organic material needed for the
organisms to grow on. The only additions might be organic N, if you need to provide
rapidly-soluble N during the transition to a healthy soil, or nutrients to
supplement those lost when the biology was not present to hold those nutrients
in the soil.

The easiest way to determine what is needed is to work with someone who knows
what biology is needed to provide different solluble nutrients for plant
growth. Many people on this list serve can do that for you, or check with me and
I'll put you in contact with someone.

3. the type of drip system used

Check to see if the biology going in your drip system survives passage
through the system and comes out intact. Before and after tests required.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodeb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., Oosterbeck, The Netherlands
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa