Re: [compost_tea] Re:pretty close to compost tea!

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:23:58 EDT

Ted - Not at all what I'm talking about.

I am NOT objecting to private industry patenting what they have developed.

I am not objecting to the government commisioning artists to develop art.
Completely different.

I am not suggesting that hiring someone to do a specific job is ethically
questionable. Get real.

I have a problem when our tax dollars are given to a scientist to do a
research project that the scientist wrote a proposal for that states the research
they will do, and the scientist gets that funding, does the work and discovers a
potential commercial product, and then turns around a patents the process or
the product, claiming they, or the institution they hold a position at, now
deserves the commercial rights to that product.

That is not ethical. At the very least, the tax payer should be re-imbursed.

Do not mis-read what I wrote. But, enough. No more on this topic from me.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa