[compost_tea] Re:pretty close to compost tea!

From: Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 04:25:25 -0000

Hi Ted,

That is all real interesting, however, I believe, you avoided the
question of ethics and morality and instead outlined ways to squeeze
or use the system.

As for Bush, although very far off topic, I wish he had taken the
fight to the terrorists in reality. As for Kerry, I don't see anyone
else to vote for because of the blank look and double digit IQ of
the present head guy. As for fighting battles it irks me to hear
Kerry bragging about 4 months when my Dad served 3 1/2 years and my
battles left me gibbled for life.

Cheers,
Titel

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Ted Peterson"
<ted.peterson_at_t...> wrote:
> Titel and others:
>
> The barter marketplace is still one that is not totally controlled
by the gummint even though there are efforts underway to tax
bartered labor and merchandise.  Because it is so difficult to track
and so few people actually admit to bartered trade, it will take
some mighty stringent enforcement to get this controlled.

> Selling anything that offers medical results such as a cold cure
or cancer cure are still areas that are "gray" areas.  By this I
mean that the people working in those areas may be producing things
in a way that is uncounted for by any regulatory agency.  If you
remember DMSO4 which was a turpentine derivitave that people felt
eased joint pain was one such area.  The gummint has since passed
legislation that controls anything that has a secondary medical use.
So you can sell your mix but cannot sell it as a cure without FDA
testing and authorization. The herbal and vitamin industry operate
in the fringe area and are mostly self regulating. If you read
labels, however, you notice that the producers have been forced to
limit medical claims. There's still a lot of wiggle room there
though.

> Yes, you could make your Dr. Titel's Elixir and even get a "poor
man's copyright/patent" by mailing the ingredients to yourself or
simply taking your papers to the patent office and getting a patent
pending number. This means you are saying "to the best of my
knowledge this is original work and I am claiming it as such from
<date>."  A patent search costs a lot of money.  It's about $350K to
$700K to have a lawyer conduct a patent search.  You don't need
that.  If a company comes along and recreates your work, you may be
able to get a percentage of what they do because you came up with
the idea first and can prove it.  Even if they claim they never say
your stuff, you can make the claim because of a weird interpretation
in the law that basically protects you, the original creator, as
having changed perception because of the work you did and this
change enabled the other company to get to their product when they
wouldn't have gotten there before."

> If you enter a contract with a company to do a specific task and
they give you the materials and provide a means to do the task and
you sign a contract that states that "any invention, product,
process or method you come up with as a result of that work is the
property of the company", you have no leg to stand on even if you
were the only person who could have come up with the process.  That
actually happend to me and all I got was a nice letter.  When I
pointed out that my work saved the company about $12M, they relented
and cut me a check but it was a token amount considering the
ramifications of my work.

> If you sign a contract that states that you have rights to
processes that are discovered in coincidence to the work you are
doing, you are safer but companies are usually greedy and seldom
sign such stuff.  There is also the chance that the company will
have no interest in what you come up with and release interest.  IBM
did this with Bill Gates because they thought that hardware had a
future and that software meant nothing.  The Bank Of Canada released
the rights to Omegamon to Aubry Chernick and he went on to make it
into most widely used mainfram diagnostic program on the planet.  So
if you find something as a coincidence of the work you are doing,
patent or copyright it under your name.  Then go to the company and
say that you developed something and are interested in seeing if
they want to do anything with it.  You may just get a release from
any contract restrictions you have.  If not, you can just do nothing
with the patent/copyright or you can assign it to the company.  Now,
most companies have a date limit on the work you do.  Usually it's a
year and this has held up in court.  So if you really find something
great, quit the company, mow lawns or wash cars or clean windows or
pump gas for a year while you develop your idea then go find some
VCs (Not the soldiers but the capitalists) and see if you can get
some development money. If it is in the same field as the company
you worked for, you will eventually lose it without a release form.
If it is a different field you will probably have no trouble until
you get big then they will come after you as a matter of course
whether they have a case or not.

> I am a registered Libertarian.  According to Drew Carey, that's a
Republician who still gets high.  But I am not hard core.  For
example, I think that we need a nationalized healthcare system and
we need it fast.  I believe in public service as a part of
citizenship.  If you serve in either a domestic program like vista,
head-start or an international program like the military or peace
corps for four years, you get free medical for life.  If you choose
not to serve, you have to pay but nothng like the exhorbitant
amounts you have to pay now.  I'm glad Bush took the fight to the
terrorists rather than waiting for another attack.  Even if mistakes
are made, I want them made on foreign soil not ours.  I am a
decorated Vietnam Vetaran who is Special Forces (You know them as
Green Berets) qualified and served in combat.  My inservice combat
experience was 26 months continuous then as a contractor after
that.  I cannot possibly bring myself to vote for Kerry.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links