Re: [compost_tea] Drip irrigation

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:34:25 +0800

Re: [compost_tea] Drip irrigationClay,
I am not aware of a drip system available in Australia that is ideal for Or=
ganic type materials including ACT to be used in them.
If you find one let me know.
There was a post some time back regarding this - I think someone had found =
a system in USA and were using it- landscape situation hopefully they will =
post the info again for you.
Any way by definition drip irrigation is just that drip, which means low f=
low rates small orifices - fine filtration, very efficient water usage.
I set up a system in my home garden that used half inch/12mm pipe and poked=
 holes in it- big enough for most biologicals to go through. I cut 3/4 inch=
 pipe about 2 inches long and split then down the middle, I slipped them ov=
er the holes to stop the water gushing all over the place. i have used this=
 for a year and have never had to clean a nozzel out or bother with filtrat=
ion. This is a crude system but effective and low cost and would suit your =
situation. the run of pipe can not be long as the pressure drops very fast-=
 (not like drip irrigation)
The other choice is higher flow mini sprinklers however I have found they=
 block up over time as well and need maintenance to keep them clean.
regards Mike H