RE: [compost_tea] Re: New to me, anyone have peer reviewed data contrary to report?

From: Tom Jaszewski <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 06:41:58 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Diver [mailto:steved_at_ncat.org]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 11:12 AM
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [compost_tea] Re: New to me, anyone have peer reviewed data contra=
to report?

It would be helpful to see the web source or
print source that this came from.

[Tom Jaszewski] It came from the ARS website, I found it while reading abou=
their CRADA program.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=
=16
7711

As I recall they used the Growing Solutions machine.

[

One of the reasons the CTTF report ended up with
a conservative approach to compost tea use -- yet
also allowed compost teas to be used with best
management practices and lab testing -- is this
kind of situation.

The researchers used a commercial tea brewer with
accompanying additives supplied by the company
and followed user instructions.

The results emphasize that in the real world there
is a wide spectrum of brewing conditions and potential
pathogen problems. Thus, guidelines help establish
parameters that reduce pathogen risk... and allow
compost teas to proceed as an approved practice.

I would like to see more funding for compost
tea research, and I would also like to see
stakeholder input into research design and
protocal. A study that includes several of
the prominent labs as well as multiple farm sites
in various agro-climatic regions would be useful.

Steve Diver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "tomjasz" <tom_at_l...> wrote:

> Research Project: Safe Production of Vegetables Using Manure
> Location: Environmental Microbial Safety Laboratory
> Title: Growth of Foodborne Pathogens During Production of Compost
Tea
> Authors
> Ingram, David
> Millner, Patricia
> Submitted to: International Association For Food
> Protection

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12987ue1e/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176=
/D=gr
oups/S=1707418612:HM/EXP=1097345520/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*=
http:/compa
nion.yahoo.com> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=grou=
ps/S=