[compost_tea] Re: SFI Workshops in Texas

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:58:55 -0000

--- Anyone traveling I-35 from the north country thru Salina, KS to
Austin, TX October 18 or thereabouts with an interest in
carpooling?  Dennis Kemnitz

In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bridges" <steve@t...> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Elaine is coming to Texas to present her Aerated Compost Tea
Workshop and two Microscopy Classes. More information about both of
these is below. We're also going to include the Texas Tea-Off as
part of the ACT Workshop. So far, we have the following brewers
represented at the Tea-Off"

> WormGold 100gal.
> Bob-O-Lator
> Bitty Bob-O-Lator
> KIS 25gal.
> Earth Tea Brewer 22gal.
> Attendees are invited to bring their homemade models, too!
>
> Elaine will be doing the judging and awards will be presented for
the top teas. I'll have more information about the Texas Tea-Off
next week. Texas may have been behind the curve on ACT, but we're
catching up quick!

> Please make arrangements ASAP if you wish to attend these
workshops.....space is limited!
> Steve Bridges
> President - Texas Organic
> Farmers and Gardeners Association
> www.texasorganicgrowers.org
> email: steve_at_t...

-------------

> Texas Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association
>
> Presents:
>
> Aerated Compost Tea Workshop
>  by Elaine Ingham, PhD
> Prerequisite: Introduction to Soil Food Web Course or Equivalent
knowledge

> Day One (8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Lunch Served)
>
> Brew Time for Tea-Off - See how each brewer is set up, begin the
brew for the competition.

> Definition of Good Tea - Maturity, stability, E. coli, Standards
>
> Making Healthy Compost Tea - The brewing cycle, the right compost,
extraction, aeration, water source, recipes, growing fungi, E. Coli
issues

> Determining Whether Plants Need Compost Tea - Rates of
decomposition, smell, color - When to do organism assays, which
assays to run - Does your foliage have enough of the right organisms?

> Altering the Foodweb in Soil & on Plant Surfaces - The right
organisms for the plant desired - Bacterial or fungal dominated
tea? - The right foods for the plant desired - Commercial products

> Question and Answer Period
>

> Day Two (1:00 pm to 5:30)
>
> !!! The Texas Tea-Off !!!
>
> *** Demonstrations of commercially-available and homemade brewers
***

> Earth Tea Brewer - Bob-o-Later/Bitty Bob- o- Later - KIS machines -
WormGold

> You can bring your own homemade compost tea brewers too! If
bringing your own tea brewer we will need to know so that we can
make arrangements for space, electricity, etc. Contact Louise with
details.

> Plus: Demonstrations of application methods and machines.
>
> Contest: All teas will be judged using a Quality Assay during the
ACT Workshop. If interested in participating, please ask Louise for
an entry form. Awards will be given!

> Dates:
>
> October 19-20, 2004
>

> Location:
>
> The Center for Environmental Research
>
> Austin Water Utility
>
> Hornsby Bend Biosolids Management Plant
>
> 2210 South FM 973
>
> Austin, Texas    78725
>

> Fee for ACT Workshop:  $225
>
> ***If attending both the Microscopy Workshop and this workshop,
the total fee will be reduced by $25***

> !!! Full amount due by October 12th, But PLEASE sign up ASAP so
we'll know how many folks are attending !!!

> **Please Note: In case of refunds, there will be a 20% service
charge. Workshop will be limited to 60 attendees, so it is first
come, first served!  Reserve your place early to be a part of this
very important lecture series.

> Contact:
>
> Louise Placek, Texas Organic Farmers & Gardeners Assoc., (877) 326-
5175 or email louise_at_t... to register for the workshop.  Payment by
check is preferred, but credit cards (VISA, MC, AMEX) are accepted.

> Hotel Arrangements
>
> We have reserved a block of rooms with the LaQuinta Airport. They
will hold these rooms until October 4th. The room rate for a double,
either by that date or later if they still have rooms available is
$63 for a double. Call (512) 386-6800.

-------------

-------------

> Texas Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association
>
> Presents:
>
> Microscopy Class
> by Elaine Ingham, PhD
>

> Two One-Day Classes: October 21st and 22nd
>
> 8am - 5pm
>
> Same Location as the ACT Workshop
>
> Prerequisite: Aerated Compost Tea Workshop or Equivalent knowledge
>

>  Why Attend? As those of you that attended the Intro to the Soil
Foodweb will remember, Dr. Ingham also offers a class on how to
properly use a microscope to identify the microorganisms in the
Aerated Compost Tea. While learning these techniques does not take
the place of professional evaluation of tea, it does help you know
when you're on the right track. Betsy Ross uses a microscope to
confirm that there is life in the tea before she sends it off to be
professionally tested at SFI and to confirm with every tea that
there is good activity in the tea. This is just another great tool
to use when learning how to properly brew a good tea.

> Which Day? Two separate Microscopy Classes will be held on the
dates of October 21st & 22nd. Each class is just one day in length.
Local folks may wish to attend on Friday as that would free up
Thursday for those that are traveling and would have a "dead" day in
between the ACT Workshop on Tuesday/Wednesday and the Microscopy
Class on Friday. The two classes will present the same material.

> Agenda? The first half of the day will consist of reviewing the
Microscopy Manual that you receive as part of your attendance fee.
The second half of the day will be hands on training of how to use
the microscopes and identify the microbiology in the tea. We will be
using the tea brewed during our Texas Tea-Off as the tea for the
Microscopy Classes.

> Microscopes
>
> You will get the most out of the workshop if you have your own
microscope. You may bring your own if you already have one. SFI Inc.
has two types of microscopes that they recommend and sell if you
wish to purchase one from them. Please contact SFI Inc. to purchase
one from them.  The two types are:

> Alexis J-model ~$400.00   Leica CME ~$1200.00
>
> Generic Description: You need a microscope that has 4X, 10X (or
20X), 40X objective lenses

> 10X WF eyepieces, Numerical Aperature 2.5 ABBE condensor (needs to
have an iris diaphragm)

> If you wish to order an Alexis J the deadline is October 8th. They
will be shipped to Hornsby Bend Wastewater Treatment facility and
will be there for pick up on the first day of the ACT Workshop.

> There is a limited supply of the Leica CME's. SFI Inc. has less
than ten of these in stock.

> Please order ASAP to reserve yours.
>
> Contact Soil Foodweb Inc. at (541) 752-5066
>

> Fee for Microscopy Workshop: $175
>
> ***If attending both the ACT Workshop and this workshop, the total
fee will be reduced by $25***

> !!! Full amount due by October 12th, But PLEASE sign up ASAP so
we'll know how many folks are attending !!!

> Contact:
>
> Louise Placek, Texas Organic Farmers & Gardeners Assoc., (877) 326-
5175 or email louise_at_t... to register for the workshop.  Payment by
check is preferred, but credit cards (VISA, MC, AMEX) are accepted.

> Hotel Arrangements
>
> We have reserved a block of rooms with the LaQuinta Airport. They
will hold these rooms until October 4th. The room rate for a double,
either by that date or later if they still have rooms available is
$63 for a double. Call (512) 386-6800.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links