Re: [compost_tea] Re: Tea and powdery mildew

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:57:42 -0700
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:29:46 -0000, Titel Ryzhomer
<thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> The term compost is unfortunately elusive and poorly defined. I have
> seen people call lumpy woody stuff compost and indeed have seen it
> for sale and bought it. My idea of finished compost is pure gukky or
> dry humus free of any recognizable shapes delineating former
> existence. This is the compost I'm working towards but in the
> interim use the commercial worm castings which are the best
> substitute on the market.

I really think that "woody" compost gets a bad rap, just because of
all the places that grind up fine bark and let it sit for a few months
to darken.

It seems to me that using a high wood component would be very
conducive to growing fungal compost. The larger fungi sure do like
growing on the downed doug fir and hemlock in the mountains around
here.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here