Re: [compost_tea] Re: OMRI and Gem

From: Jeff Young <sharkman_04101_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:01:35 -0700 (PDT)

You are very astute, Kirk. Our marketing VP guy made the mistake of putting that into some of our literature. I corrected it when I first saw it but it still pops up. I will promptly give our website another proofreading and cleaning. Thanks for the heads up.

On top of what sometimes gets written, I can't tell you how many times I have had to say to our marketing and sales people, "You can't say that. You can't make that claim".

Science, data, and cold hard facts are the only things that will advance the entire compost tea/healthy soil foodweb movement. We all need to stay on course.

Jeff

Kirk Leonard <kirkleon_at_open.org> wrote:
Your local USNOP nut here with a nit correction... OMRI does not "certify"
materials. They investigate raw materials and processes and "list" them as
organically acceptable, for a fee. Like most if not all other organic
organizations, they do not assert efficacy. Only organic operations are
"certified", not materials, which are either "allowed" or not, sometimes
with restrictions. We need to make sure compost teas are allowed. OMRI
supports them, certifiers support them, NOSB has supported them. USNOP
needs to, too.

Thanks for the good info on fish fertilizer, in any event.

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:53:59 -0000
> From: "tomjasz" <tom_at_livesoil.com>
> Subject: Re: Phytopathology journal article on compost tea, November 2004
> [snip]
> Organic and safe.
> Organic GemŽ is certified and listed by the Organic Materials Review
> Institute (OMRI), one of the strictest organic review agencies in the
> country. It can be applied with no worries to human health and will
> not compromise local water supplies.

OMRI does good work, no doubt, and can be trusted, but they don't "certify"
anything.

Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Get unlimited calls to