Re: [compost_tea] Re: OMRI and Gem

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:51:02 -0700
Ted,

It wasn't made as a hard claim. They say "customers reported", which I
do believe.

I have actually found that for a short time after applying many
different types of fertilizer, deer tend to stay away as long as there
is food elsewhere.

I plant a catch crop to attract and feed the deer on a different part
of my property, and I only had one doe decide it was worth her effort
to get past my fence.

Of course this probably won't work for thosee in commercial ag, or in
areas with more drought issues than we have here in western WA.

Dave

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:38:07 -0700, Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:

> I find this one hard to believe but who knows.  Maybe with enough
> saturation, the deer are driven away by the smell.  However, if the plants
> are healthier and less disease prone, deer around here go hog wild for them.
>  They even jump 10 foot fences to get at plants they like.
>
> I view this the same as I view claims that CT controls snails/slugs:
> Unsubstantiated and not repeatable in a reliable sense.  Maybe one time
> something happened but whether that was the direct result of what was used
> is still disputable.
>
> Anyway, until I see hard data and repeatable experiments, I remain a
> sceptic.  GEM is great for plant health though.  It is a good fish source
> and the stuff I used worked great in the tea.  I have since been using a
> pellet form made by Alaska and that seems to work just as well for brewing.
>

> Ted Peterson
> EW/SOE

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to