Re: [compost_tea] Re: OMRI and Gem

From: Jeff Young <sharkman_04101_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:06:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ted,

I do have the results of a successful trial done with fish hydrolysate and deer. It was done by someone else in the 1980's. I will try and dig it out for you.

We have a number of customers that swear fish works to repel deer. There was an article written in the local paper about a homeowner/gardener who has only used quality compost and Organic Gem on his property since he built on it. The deer have run roughshod over the neighborhood's trees and shrubs, but Bob Tinay's have been left untouched. This created a lot of talk locally.

Once again, I don't make the deer claim (and probably can't legally), but I have a hard time stopping my sellers from jumping on it.

Jeff Young

Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:
I find this one hard to believe but who knows. Maybe with enough saturation, the deer are driven away by the smell. However, if the plants are healthier and less disease prone, deer around here go hog wild for them. They even jump 10 foot fences to get at plants they like.

I view this the same as I view claims that CT controls snails/slugs: Unsubstantiated and not repeatable in a reliable sense. Maybe one time something happened but whether that was the direct result of what was used is still disputable.

Anyway, until I see hard data and repeatable experiments, I remain a sceptic. GEM is great for plant health though. It is a good fish source and the stuff I used worked great in the tea. I have since been using a pellet form made by Alaska and that seems to work just as well for brewing.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE

And for Ted from the manufacturers web site....
"Pest Resistance
Improved plant health leads to a dramatic increase in resistance to
pests. Organic GemŽ customers report that our material repels deer.
Easy To Use "

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Kirk Leonard" <kirkleon_at_o...>
wrote:
> Your local USNOP nut here with a nit correction... OMRI does
not "certify"
> materials.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT