[compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:45:55 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, butch ragland <wilddog_202@y...>
wrote:
> would you be more specific?
>
> generic wood chips varies from area to area
> >><>><><><<<>The local electric company trims around the rural
power lines when necessary. I used those chips about 10 inches deep
on the surface. Some elms I'm sure, probably hackberry and mulberry
as well. Little bit of cedar too. Green leaves were included.
Probably very,  very little hardwood such as oak or walnut.
> how deep?
>
> how old?
> <><><><><><><>Within a month of cutting green growth.
> surface mulch or incorporated?
>
> what did u hope to accomplish by using wood chips?
> <><><<><>retain moisture and eliminate weeding. We had a long dry
summer here. We did get some strange mushrooms growing out of the
chips at times. The cukes stayed crisp and tasty a long time too.
Dennis Kemnitz in north central KS

http://www.malcolmbeck.com/books/gv_method/CedarFlakesForMulchingGrow
> > ing.htm
> > >
> > > Ron Poitras