Re: [compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: butch ragland <wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:12:16 -0800 (PST)
Everything that I've learned here and from other
resources tells me that compost tea does more to
retain moisture than mulch as the ACT builds up the
water holding capacity of your soil. I have not found
any research proving that mulch retains moisture, yes
it will be moist under a layer of mulch but that
doesn't prove it retains moisture. Without proof I've
wondered of it acts as a wick and removes moisture
with an off setting advantage of cooling the soil when
its hot and dry.

BTW what you can assume about the wood chips from that
source will have every specie of tree and bush growing
in your area. Depending on the value of your crop
caution might be wise with out composting first.

http://www.malcolmbeck.com/books/gv_method/CedarFlakesForMulchingGrow
> > > ing.htm

=====
Butch Ragland