[compost_tea] Re: Watering (orchard mulch)

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:12:06 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, butch ragland <wilddog_202@y...>
wrote:
> Lets look at incorporating this information into ACT
> techonology. If you read all about REGENERATING SOILS
> WITH RAMIAL CHIPPED WOOD it may be wonderful but it
> would be expensive to apply. Tree trimmers generate a
> large amounts of material that interfere with
> electrical wires.

<>>><><><<><After someone here covered the merits of forest soil for
capturing fungi and the benefits of wood chips in compost tea
machines I decided to snag those "tree trimmers'" chips from my
neighborhood last year.  Maybe 75 ton or so. I am looking forward to
using them the next few years.  Dennis Kemnitz

Most people can get this chipped
> wood (mostly small limbs) free if they work at it. It
> may not be perfect but it will work. Get it and apply
> it and go on using ACT. My work has shown that surface
> applying these chips as surface mulch will lead to
> improved soil.

><><><><><Butch do you till them in, at all, in later years or grow
between rows of chips?? Any particular machinery you use to keep
them on top of the soil while planting or weeding? Obviously no
moldboard plows, eh?        Dennis Kemnitz

It takes 3 years for the process to
> reach full cycle and lead to constant benefits after
> that. Which is the same period sited.
>
> The application of ACT may help this process but it
> will not interfere with conversion of wood chips to
> soil and it will NOT interfere with the value of ACT.
> Seems simple to my feeble mind that here is a simple
> addition to the value of ACT.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> --- John Dunbar <jdunbar_at_d...> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for this post on regenerating soils via
> > Ramial Wood Chipping.  I
> > didn't realize the importance of excluding the
> > leaves of twig
> > shredding/chipping.  Maybe that's why EM has a 3 day
> > process for treating
> > the green version of these materials and then
> > applying it to the top of the
> > soil as mulch.
> >
> > John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor