Re: [compost_tea] Re: Searching for basic instructions on compost tea brewing

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:44:08 -0800 (PST)

Proof of the adage that folks will believe what they choose to believe regardless of any facts, proof, tests or advice. . Bob

Stephen <blademan25_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

Thank you to everyone who has posted replies to my original
question. The discussion answered many of my follow up questions and
has helped me understand many of the other discussions.

Like I said it was a FIRST time for me to even attempt to make a
compost tea / extract / leachate, so I got to see how I was going in
an uninformed direction.

To me it sounds like there is a lot of opening research out there
that is leading to a lot of different directions.

One of the posts was warning me about many harmful pathogens from my
technique (or lack of) and this made me wonder if a lot of people
were considering what I was using to be a uncomposted manure (raw
manure) for the method I was using. I assure you it has been very
well composted. My observations have that my high temps of 140 - 150
have been maintained for well over one week, when I notice most
composts have maybe 3 - 4 days of these high temps. It is my
understanding that these temps kill off most of the harmful
pathogens. I was not using the water runoff from the compost bins, I
was using completed compost for my burlap bag method. I have read
books regading collecting the runoff from compost bins, but this has
always sounded {just not right} to me.

I see a lot of compost out there on the market that I am less than
fond of and I wouldn't even put it around a daisy, much less my
food. Most of the commercial compost that I have evaluated in my
opinion smells bad, and is still generating heat (most of the time A
LOT OF HEAT) so I doubt that it is completely cooked. Whereas the
compost that I have generated is completely cooled off in heating
potential, it smells wonderful, and I have a lot of acquaintances
that have taught the master gardener programs in this region, that
have commented that it is outstanding in its quality and when I am
generous in sharing - they try to save it for their most valuable
produce producers. I have even had some comment that they would put
it up against worm casting - but I wouldn't go that far.

Also I have noticed a lot of the posts have commented on using cattle
manure, which is interesting to me. The cattle manure vs. goat
pellets / rabbit pellets is an unfair comparison. Cow patties have a
challenging time mixing with the brown matter unless they have been
dried out and then ground up, because they are about the size and
shape of a large disgusting pancake, vs the raisin size pellets of
goat manure, and not only that but most of the dairy and dry-lot beef
facilities basically have the manure so wet that it is more like a
slurry then any dried out patty (so deep it will suck your boots
off). Also most dairies pump their animals full of BST and other
hormones and antibiotics so what goes in, must come out. Of course
if you are just using it on a golf course who gives a flip? It is my
impression that most of the people on this list going for research
are attempting to make a product that is ultimately safer for the
food chain. I can produce some interesting insight regarding the
animal bi-product from a producer standpoint. The chicken manure
tends to dry out a lot faster do to the smaller surface area too.

Thanks again and I appreciate all of you for not tar and feathering
me on the original message.

Stephen
Southern California

Yahoo! Groups Links