RE: [compost_tea] Re: Searching for basic instructions on compost tea brewing

From: Tom Jaszewski <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:05:58 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com [mailto:soilfoodweb_at_aol.com]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 6:12 PM
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Re: Searching for basic instructions on compost
tea brewing

We have years of data.

[Tom Jaszewski] Not that I can take, for example, to the pesticide CEU
section of a green conference and not get my ears pinned back.

We don't have replicated, scientific data that can be turned into papers
acceptable to the scientific community.

Please get this straight. You are talking about two different things.

[Tom Jaszewski] Data is meaningless without the replicated data in the
context I work and lecture in. I don't have the luxury of having attendees
signing up to hear about ACT. In other words I don't work with those alread=
sold on the concept.

Data are data, regardless of whether they are repeated over and over again.=

[Tom Jaszewski] Nope and you know that! Data is data to some degree here in
the context of this group, but this isn't an accurate reflection of
horticulture or agriculture in the US.

To be acceptable to the scientific community, experiments have to be
replicated, with control and treatment comparisons.

Most people outside of the academic community will accept that 95%
repeatablility is meaningful.

AND there are hundreds of papers in the scientific literature that show if
you have the biology in the soil, the benefits I talk about happen. You
can't argue about that information.

[Tom Jaszewski] I've searched high and low and have found most of that info
and regularly use it to make some very logical points about what we are
doing. BUT that is still extrapolating information, not good data!!

You can point out that we do not have replicated scientific data to show
that compost tea delivers the organisms to the soil or plant surfaces. We
have the practical data to show AERATED compost tea does that. Replciated
scientific studies? Not done yet. But do we really need to?

[Tom Jaszewski] WOW!!!! Think about that statement! We probably don't if we
want to stay a small fringe group!

Instead of sounding like a nay-sayer, publish your data. Instead of being
on everyone else's case about publishing in the scientific literature,
publish your results.

[Tom Jaszewski] Questioning, probing and working hard to promote ACT is no=
being a nay sayer, that's simply your perception, and it's misguided. I'm
not on anyone's case, and for the last time I'm going to remind you that th=
DATA IS NOT MINE TO PUBLISH!

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129b5tanu/M=298184.5584357.6650215.3001176=
/D=gr
oups/S=1707418612:HM/EXP=1101003162/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*=
http:/www.n
etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5584357.6650215.3001176/D=grou=
ps/S=
:HM/A=2434971/rand=371399110>

  _____