Re: [compost_tea] Re: Searching for basic instructions on compost tea brewing

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:13:03 -0800

I think you both have it a little wrong. Controlled situation can be creat=
ed in the lab that give precise results using a procedure or object. For e=
xample, bacteria can be grown in a petri dish in an iso chamber at so many =
degrees with such and such nutrients. It can be shown time and time again =
that this works exactly the same way every time. In the "wild" so to speak=
, there are ennumerable factors that and either add or detract from the par=
ent situation. However, if the growth rates seen in the lab are basically d=
uplicated in the "wild" within a range of acceptable error, one can success=
fully state that the procedure work and can be replicated time and time aga=
in. The "wild" elements will either enhance the effect or detract from the=
 effect.

Taking a series of 10x10 plots and treating them differently in a "wild" en=
vironment still produces data that can be quantized and replicated. For ex=
ample: Take a lawn and get four plots on the lawn that are 10x10 separated =
by 20 feet or so. Apply nothing to one, compost to another, compost compos=
t tea to another and compost, compost tea and VAMs to another. Check the r=
oot growth and mass and the health of the soil with soil testing and analys=
is and the plants with leaf assay and brix testing. Test both the plots an=
d test the untreated area for a comparison to the control. You will see cha=
nges in the plots based on the inputs you use. Go to a different location =
and reproduce the same experiment. Do this two or three times more. Then =
compare the test results. You should notice that similar results occur in =
plots treated similarly in each location. The untreated plots will give yo=
u a control. This control should stay the same as the rest of the lawn are=
a that is untreated.

After you do this a number of times, you will be able to make pretty defini=
tive statements about the effects of each input in a lawn area as long as t=
he water amounts remain the same for all areas. However, even if the water=
 rates change, treated plots should test differently than untreated plots a=
nd the rest of the lawn.

>From this perspective, very large areas can be used as test platforms. The=
 size of the experiment doesn't mean as much as how the experiment is condu=
cted.

Now, if you are trying to isolate specific bacteria or fungi and control it=
s movement in a "wild" environment, you are setting experimental parameters=
 that are too broad for accurate testing. We have just voted down a propos=
al in our community that would have prohibited the importation and growing =
of GMOs. The fear is that they will cross polinate with organic produce. =
The people promoting the use of GMOs created a huge ad campaign based on st=
atements that asserted GMOs can be controlled. Interesting in that people =
didn't seem to even comprehend what that statement meant in a "wild" enviro=
nment.

Several people told me that they were safe because they could be controlled=
. Besides, they said, they like the look of the produce. I never thought =
of using produce to make a fashion statement but I guess everything is fash=
ion now. It's all style over substance. So we have good looking food with=
 low nutrient value but that doesn't matter because it "looks" like it shou=
ld be better in every way.

Boy, are we getting royally screwed. No wonder we're so fat. We have to e=
at twice as much food to get simple nutirent value.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE