Re: [compost_tea] Re: Asian Rust

From: butch ragland <wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:09:22 -0800 (PST)
Please don't take offense of take me to task on any
specific point. I've read much anecdotal results which
doesn't seem to add to any body of knowledge.

Again this is only a starting thought. If a list of
ingredients was posted with any result then maybe
specific value of data could be extracted.

Example:
5 gal water
1 oz molasses
2 lb vermicompost (horse manure+sawdust)
etc

Results: etc

--- Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Could you please tell us ignoramuses what AH is.
>
> I agree with you that vermicompost is the superior
> choice for making
> ACT but I do not believe you are qualified to make
> the statement
> that "compost tea will not get rid of any diease
> load". Our
> observations, though as yet unsubstantiated through
> independent
> trials, do show that 'our' compost tea actually has
> caused the
> remission of active powdery mildew. This is not to
> say that this
> happens 100% of the time and it may be a result of
> the clay powders
> which we provide as a microbial food source. The
> jury is still out.
>
> We also have second handedly observed compost tea to
> put a
> severe 'erwinia' (sp?) infection into remission.
> This was with
> compost tea made with regular compost with molasses
> in a homemade
> venturi based brewer.
>
> I think caution should be used in statements about
> what CT can and
> cannot do until we know more.
>
> Titel
>
> --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jaszewski"
> <tom_at_l...> wrote:
> >
> > --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "robhunt2"
> <robhunt2_at_y...>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Will compost tea get rid of Asian Rust?
> >
> > Compost tea will not "get rid" of any diseaese
> load. What we have
> > learned is that some "recipes" will outcompete
> many pathogens.
> Some
> > of us have done "inhibition assays" with BBC labs
> and have
> replicated
> > the lab results in the field.
> >
> > As always the MOST inportant parts of the process
> are, quality
> > compost (to date tersts have shown vermicompost
> and AH are most
> > effective when combined, but this is only in our
> testing, and more
> > needs to be done), quality nutrient packs (ours
> come from the
> > manufacturer of the system we use, EPM)and a well
> supported and
> > constructed brewer.
> >
> > BTW Compost Science and Utilization did and
> excellent article
> > comparing the biological makeup of compost and
> vermicompost, lots
> > learn here too but none the less an enlightening
> article. Worms
> rule!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tom Jaszewski