Re: [compost_tea] Re: Asian Rust

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:52:05 -0800

Well, this is a tough one because it depends on what you are composting and=
 what materials you are composting. It is generally thought that presence =
of worms in soil is a sure sign of health. However, for California Coastal=
 native plants, the presence of worms is undesirable. The sandy soil they =
thrive in doesn't support a biology that is beneficial for worms.

I know the general thinking is that vermicompost and the digestive action o=
f the worms gives a higher bacterial count. However, worms have specific d=
igestive systems and composting worms, like the Red Tiger, are different fr=
om earthworms. Also, what goes into a worm bin can determine what the verm=
icompost is made of but doesn't necessarily mean that the vermicompost will=
 magically be embued with diverse bacteria in your local area.

Testing I have done using vermicompost as part of a tea brew show no signif=
icant differences in tea quality and effectiveness on plants. I have my be=
st results, as viewed through soil analysis and plant assay, when I use a h=
ighly-diverse, locally based compost as the basis of my tea. When I go to a=
 new area, I try to get as much diversity as possible from that area and ad=
d it to any "starter" compost I may use from my location. When I do that, =
I get the best results and these are verified by testing.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE