Re: [compost_tea] Re: Rock Dust

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:19:13 -0800

A big assumption here Titel. What do you mean by 'necessarily' here? How =
can you assume that an additive is an active participant (whatever that mea=
ns) and that active participation means food? Are you aware of how bacteri=
a feed? Are you aware of Cations/Ations and their role in bacterial/microb=
ial feeding? Doesn't participation indicate action? Does food, in the form=
 of nutrients, act?

If the clay dust is food and you are feeding bacteria with this food then w=
hat does the eradication? You are suggesting that the clay is food for the =
bacteria which eradicates the mildew?

(You know, there are oil eating bacteria. They are used in oil spills all =
the time. However, I don't think that the oil is referred to as an active =
participant except in a metaphysical way.)

I have to admit that I think you have a rudimentary understanding and are t=
rying to extrapolate from that. It's like half-truths that are assembled i=
n a way to point to a bigger truth. The problem I have here is that I susp=
ect that the basic assumption is wrong. You are trying to force CT into a =
category where it doesn't belong and that is the category of a pesticide. =
You observed something but I don't think your attribution is correct. It m=
ay be so repeat it and let's see.

Relook at your logic and see if you can restate the assumption based on obs=
ervation and the ramifications based on outcome. CT can do a lot of good t=
hings. Disease prevention, in many cases, is one of those good things. Yo=
u are suggesting a cure. Maybe I am the only person who feels this way but=
 I have to rely on my experience and the experimentation I do. I have found=
 that the things stated in the Compost Tea Brewing Manual work. They have =
tested and retested and the plants and soil shows improvement. They work. =
 I have seen mildew suppression and outbreaks limited to small areas rather=
 than a whole vinyard. I have seen soil restored and turf root system expa=
nd and deepen. I have turned our anaerobic sand where I live into thriving=
 gardens using CT. A lot of good things. I am now working on native plant=
 restoration and this one is really tricky but I have seen it work to a sma=
ll degree. I have a grower use my tea because he states that he gets 98% s=
urvivability when the best he got before was _at_ 60-70 percent. I have used =
CT to control pathogens in biosolids and can prove it works as I can with a=
ll my statements where I assert something.

But in spite of all my success with CT, I have not seen what you report. I=
t's that simple. I'm sure it's me or my brewing or my total lack of underst=
anding or as you state my inability to "think outside the box." I will admi=
t that I have a lot to learn. Tons of stuff that I don't know about. So pl=
ease continue on with the direction you are following. If something comes =
from it, we will all be better served.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE