RE: [compost_tea] humus/fulvic acid?

From: John Cowan <vivax_at_northlink.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:31:23 -0700

A certain amount of fulvic acid can be extracted from compost or
vermicompost by filling a jar 1/3 full with material then fill the jar with
water to about 2/3 full. Shake vigorously for 5 min. Let sit for 24 hrs. If
the material is of good quality, you will have water that is yellow-orange
amber. That is the fulvic acid.

The quality of the water makes a difference. If the water is structured so
that it has a lower surface tension than "normal" then more fulvic acid can
be extracted. By the way, structured water can make a positive difference
with compost tea.

I have read the terravita site and although interesting, I cannot buy all
their assertions. How can we know what is going on when the physical
structure of fulvic and humic acid has not be pinned down? We do know that
fulvic acid have a molecular weight 10's of times less than humic acid. We
also know that it has a very strong hormonal effect.

John Cowan
Verde Valley Agri-Lab
Sedona, Arizona 86336
ph: 928-300-8824