Water? was Re: [compost_tea] humus/fulvic acid?

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 04:14:00 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Ted Peterson"
<ted.peterson_at_t...> wrote:
> Guys:
>
> I'm in a funny position because if this works, I want to market it
so I don't want to give too much away. Yes the initial work was done
as part of an IRAD/CRAD grant which was never adopted by NASA. It is
not public domain and I own the patent even though I did very little
on the project.  Some of you know my background and maybe can figure
it out. What I am playing with here is similar but different.  In
comparision to the original proposal, my approach is very modest.
If you look at the work Dr. John Alexander (Berkeley) has been doing
with water reclamation you will get an idea but not the technique. I
know I am being ambiguous and it is intentional.  If it actually
works, and this is still a big IF, I will sign people up as
testers.  If not, it will just be another hair-brained idea that
didn't work.

> By the way, I talked to the guy with the water district and he
indicated that chloramine, even though it smells, isn't really an
antibiotic.  As he explained it, chloramine is inert in the water
and needs something to trigger a breakdown.  When it breaks down,
(as shown by the example I posted) chlorine is created and chlorine
IS an antibiotic.

Ted, I just read this post so maybe out of line here however
chlorine reacts with water to make a strong oxidizer, hypochlorous
acid which is then an antiseptic. Dennis Kemnitz

Now, charcoal causes a breakdown and charcoal is part of the carbon
chain so the practical theory is that other carbon elements also
trigger breakdowns.  These elements can be associated with bacterial
growth so the things that can cause a chloramine breakdown do
nothing to control bacteria. (I know I wrote it kind of backwards
but this is the explanations I got.)

> Back  to me now. . .
>
> So what I think happens is that something gets in the water supply
and triggers a chloramine breakdown.  This same thing may also
promote bacterial growth and the product of the breakdown attacks
the bacteria associated with the breakdown element.  What I can't
figure out exactly and what my water guy didn't state was whether
charcoal was antibacterial.  I didn't ask him so it looks like I
will be hitting the books tonight.

Ted,  I don't think charcoal is a bacteriostat or a bacteriocide.
Dennis Kemnitz

> Ted Peterson
> EW/SOE

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor