Re: [compost_tea] Re: Water voodoo?

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:28:37 -0800
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:02:55 -0800, Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:

> Folks:
>
> You know, I am rather blunt.  It isn't a matter of rudness but just, well,
> passion I guess.  I tend to try to break things down and approach them
> differently to see if another view clears things up.  I have a feeling that
> Dave operates the same way but I can't be sure.

Yup, and with some things, there is simply no way to not be blunt. No
matter how you couch it, "That is wrong" will either lose its meaning
or appear rude to those that are not used to being told such things. I
even tried to soften it up some, but it obviously did not work for
everyone here.

> When Dave asked for details than chided me for even mentioning what I was
> working on without a full description, I think I comes from that place that
> says: We are all working towards the same end so share freely.  Some things
> I will share but others I will not.  When I publish, then anyone can pick up
> the data and use it with instructions.

The chiding was two-fold, and I think you realized that. It was partly
for not shareing complete information, but it was also suggesting that
if you meant it to be trade secret, you should completely shut your
trap (so to speak). Hinting at things only piques the curiosity.

I think you realized, and skirted the issue for a couple of posts, but
when you seemed to acknowledge that you intended to keep it trade
secret, that was the end of it.

> So don't worry about confrontation.  If you have ever been to a conference
> where people are working on a bunch of different projects, you hear a lot of
> blunt statements.  It usually just rolls off everyone's back.  Once in a
> while, though, someone will say something that can really get hackles up.
> It is the same on every list I have been on and am still on: a lot of
> pleasant discourse and every once in a while, pow.

Forget confrences, sit in on a meeting with a batch of engineers or
physicists. Miss Manners would have a heart attack, but that is how
things are accomplished.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here