RE: [compost_tea] Re: Effect of sulfates on fungi in tea and soil

From: John Cowan <vivax_at_northlink.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:16:51 -0700
Elaine has said that this is indeed the case.

pH is a result of soil conditions, not a maker of correct conditions. pH is
high because of excess calcium, magnesium and/or sodium. If these are
bio-chelated or buffered by soil organic matter and microbes, conditions for
plants to grow will improve. Nutrient availability according to pH only
applies in essentially dead soil. Improve the rhizosphere, the narrow area
directly around the root, and plants will grow well. How? Put the active
diverse microbes in the soil- i.e. compost tea. This has been well tested in
SW desert conditions. The overuse of sulfur and sulfur containing chemical
fertilizers causes many problems.

John Cowan
Verde Valley Agri-Lab
Sedona, Arizona 86336