[compost_tea] Re: Effect of sulfates on fungi in tea and soil

From: rapid524 <endurancecoaching_at_Cox.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:53:03 -0000

Thanks John,

We applied composted cow manure and planted a cover crop of vetch
and rye in September.  I'll turn that under in the spring and apply
compost tea through my drip irrigation when I seed/transplant.  I
plan to follow that up with foliar applications of compost tea
throughout the growing season.

Ronnie

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "John Cowan" <vivax@n...> wrote:
> Elaine has said that this is indeed the case.
>
> pH is a result of soil conditions, not a maker of correct
conditions. pH is
> high because of excess calcium, magnesium and/or sodium. If these
are
> bio-chelated or buffered by soil organic matter and microbes,
conditions for
> plants to grow will improve. Nutrient availability according to pH
only
> applies in essentially dead soil. Improve the rhizosphere, the
narrow area
> directly around the root, and plants will grow well. How? Put the
active
> diverse microbes in the soil- i.e. compost tea. This has been well
tested in
> SW desert conditions. The overuse of sulfur and sulfur containing
chemical
> fertilizers causes many problems.
>
> John Cowan
> Verde Valley Agri-Lab