RE: [compost_tea] Re: Simple is best

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:21:49 -0500
The process of composting, when we work with back-yard gardeners, is quite different from what is done with worm composters, or thermal commercial composters, or static pile composters.  A year-long composting process is not un-reasonable when we work with gardeners.  A 3-month composting process will be different from commercial processes to make compost in 6 weeks.

Rarely do gardeners want to invest the time and effort required to make compost in 6 weeks.  But commercial folks  want to get that product made!  We work with composters who have made great 6 week compost, and in some instances, 21 day compost.  Ok, pre-composting of some of the starting materials is required, so is it really 21 day then?

The principles of making a good final product are the same no matter the specifics, but the processes of applying those principles can be VERY, VERY different.  Simple is best, but also pay attention to the constraints with which people are working.  Sometimes, 3 months is just not possible.  Sometimes, buying a turner is just not possible.

If you know what you are doing, you can make compost rapidly, or not as rapidly, or you can take a long time, as long as you get the biology right.  If the biology is working right, it means the chemistry is right, for the plant you want to grow.  The end product can be made to grow the plant you want.

But please, don't put strongly fungal-compost on soil that is already fungal dominated and expect to grow asparagus.  As I said, you have to know what you are doing.

I therefore agree with Tim Kiphart about blanket statements.   Don't take a statement about a specific situation to mean a statement about ALL cases.

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor