[compost_tea] Re: basic questions

From: lawnjockeynick <nick_at_lawnjockey.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:46:38 -0000

Compost tea works good as a tool, but when you're fighting problems
and you want to keep your customers happy, I recommend topdressing
with compost and a little organic fertilizer along with your tea to
achieve positive results. Of course, I add innoculums to my tea
appropriate to the problem.

Granted, this is just my humble opinion - one who manages only 1.8
million square feet of turf, Nick.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen <bnbrew@y...>
wrote:
> Hi Butch -  for a peacemaker you have a misleading name, but
thanks for your peacemaking!.  About your question - "If I spread
good compost, then it rains - is that as good as ACT?  Hmmmm sorta.
It will be very hard to achieve  much of an effect on the foliage.
So ACT is better there.  As a soil drench compost is excellent and
if it rains the microbes of the compost will get to the soil.  Das
is goot.   Now if you used  enough compost it would be as good as
ACT.  On a small garden you can shovel on a 1/2 deep or more compost
and get results.  Even on a small garden that is going to be a lot
of compost.  On a farm area that is many tons per acre.  The idea of
brewing ACT is to use the microbes of a small quanity of compost,
multiply them MANY times, then apply in liquids that put the
microbes where needed in enough quantity to be effective, with
machinery and labor that can be afforded.  ACT helps make the
organic concept of gadening and farming economically possible.

> I think Elaine has proven that there is more than an economic
advantage.  Butch, Compost is great stuff. It adds mulch as well as
microbes. Feed it, enrich it and wash it into the soil with ACT and
it will be even better.   Bob