Re: [compost_tea] Re: carbonization

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:07:05 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Re: carbonization

Well, sorry to admit that I perhaps don't know everything.

I have never associated anaerobic conditions with charcoal production befor=
e. I have associated charcoal production with high temperatures and burning=
.

And if admission that I have never used the term pyrolysis or carbonization=
 or oxidation to describe the charcoal producing
condition means you would think I know nothing about the microbiology of ma=
king compost, then perhaps you shouldn't pay any attention to anything I sa=
y.

Elaine:

I reread my post and I have to apologize. My language was indelicate. I d=
on't see how you could take it any other way than as an attack even though =
it wasn't meant as one. I have learned quite a lot from the Compost Tea ma=
nual and the Soil Food Web primer (soil biology) so I expect that level whe=
n you deal with a subject.

It's hard to be an expert in everything and far easier to be a generalist. =
Usually, depth is missing from general statements. I don't understand why =
you are sorry you don't know everything. Even Ken Jennings missed some Jeo=
pardy questions. "Gee, Elaine doesn't know something. I guess she doesn't =
know anything." is hardly a premise anyone would buy.

In many ways, you are one of the most knowledgeable people on the list but =
there are others who have had the time to learn and catch up on some things=
. Lab stuff is certainly your domain and instead of trying to be all inclu=
sive, write with certainty about biology and lab results and the benefits o=
f biology in the soil. When it comes to areas you are experimenting with (=
like soil chemistry and analysis) along with others, maybe a less authorati=
ve approach and a removal of your list of labs. That way, you could enter =
into the discussion as a peer and we may all be better for it in the long r=
un. There are some pretty able composters and worm farmers who read this l=
ist and I think a lot of that kind knowledge comes from working with the ma=
terial within a set of guidelines. As I learned: You can be shown but you =
need to do it to learn.

I sure don't know everything about composting or compost tea but I have the=
 basics down and know the parameters pretty well. I have even developed a =
monitoring program to control 02/CO2 and moisture/nutrient cycling in a com=
post pile. It all works automatically. But even with that, the process do=
esn't work for some types of compost as I recently found out. Sometimes a =
lot of what you think you know gets contradicted by real life. As I'm sure=
 you are aware, things can look rosy in the lab and totally fail in the fie=
ld. The reports on CTs anaerobic properties that you and others have discu=
ssed in the past is full of lab-based assumptions that have no weight in th=
e environment of an aerated brewer.

Maybe the standards for you should or should not be higher depending on the=
 question. For CT based questions, I would expect solid answers that someo=
ne could take and get results. In areas you are still learning like the re=
st of us, don't be afraid to ask a question or seek clarification. You did=
 with me and I responded with my sources.

As far as not reading what you write. . . It would be a shame that you get =
so apprehensive that you feel you must somehow give hints without just stat=
ing what you mean. I'm all the the Socratic method but I don't think it's =
appropriate for this list. If you don't want to answer a question because =
it violates company confidentiality, don't answer. Beating around the bush=
 doesn't help anyone. I have kept every one of your posts since joining th=
is list so I know from where I speak.

Now, you have issues with people who have stolen your work. It's a part of=
 everything. I have had ideas, brewer designs, methodology, processes and =
tons of music stolen. Just remember, it's better to be stolen from than to=
 be stealing yourself. When you steal, you don't have the A, B, Cs of the =
process that got the result that was stolen and the way you think -- the qu=
ality of your thought -- is far more valuable than any one of the things yo=
u think about. Besides, no matter how much somebody uses your work without =
giving you credit, they will, over time, fail. That's the way the universe=
 works. Supposed truth based on lies never lasts.

Look at the people, historically who have gotten degrees or written theses =
or misstated their credentials or who misstated facts for some purpose. Fo=
r the most part they get exposed eventually. We have in recent history a S=
upreme Court nominee and the guy who was supposed to take over Homeland Sec=
urity both get whacked for misrepresenting parts of their Vita. Something =
similar will happen to the people who made free with your work also.

Ted Peterson
SOE