Re: [compost_tea] Terra Cycle

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:22:49 EST

Terra Cycle products are good nutrients, but no biology worth talking about.
 We all know, and have known for awhile, that organic sources of nutrients
are less detrimental than inorganic salts.

But it is good to get out information to the rest of the country with the
enormous marketing budget these folks have.

I like the waste reduction idea they are emphasizing. Recycling waste
material by having worms deal with them, and using used plastic bottles to bottle
the leachate from the worm compost. Cool!

But, no biology testing shown on the website. In the materials we've had
come in from clients, there isn't any biology in the liquid.

Which is probably what Terra Cycle wanted; less trouble from regulatory
agencies.

Could Terra Cycle be used as food in a compost tea brewer? Maybe.

When anyone uses it that way, could you do some testing and let us all know
what the brown liquid does to the organisms in the tea? I'd expect bacterial
growth to be enhanced, possibly fungal. But, data required.

Or, why not ask the manufacturers to do that experimentation and post it on
their web site?

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa