Re: [compost_tea] basic questions

From: Scott Alexander <daylily_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:05:57 +1000

Perry wrote:- I was unable to find any definitive answers about total below=
 ground (root) biomass... Most said that it is equal to the above ground am=
ount, but I don't know if that means combining the gain, stalk and leaves o=
f just the leaves. I've always heard that there is as much below ground as =
there is above ground...

I'm sure i read somewhere many years ago that there was 7000 miles of roots=
 under a mature perennial rye plant. This would include the barely visible =
hair-roots and those not visible to the eye. If the above is correct, that'=
s a lot of organic matter left in the soil!
Scott