Re: [compost_tea] non-aerated teas?

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:28:24 -0800 (PST)

J Allan - Somerimes a buget is tight because folks dink away valuable earning time doing stuff that fails or just uses time but produces no useful results. Been there done that! If your nail gun compressor is any good to you - it may last more than one brew. Or may not Bob
jallan6977_at_earthlink.net wrote:
I am talking about the size you would need for such as a paint
sprayer or nail guns. If I can turn the pressure down low enough
that might be better than a controlled leak. I am going to try
making a filter but if that doesn't help maybe a paint sprayer
dehydration filter will keep the crap out. I have one or two fish
tank pumps but doubt they would be enough. I will try the larger
bubble idea. It sounds less likely to plug up. If I take one quart
and leave it settle, would I be likely to see evidence of lubricating
oil? The most commonly used air oil is straight mineral oil. It
might not harm the critters. I might even be able to get our local
Cornell Coop to just do a simple "look at" under a microscope to see
if there is an increase in life. They might charge a few dollars to
do any kind of detailed study. My budget is so tight I have to cut
corners eveywhere I can.

On 3 Jan 2005 at 18:29, David Anderson wrote:

> What size air compressor are you talking about?
>
> Since you mention the "car tire"part, I'm thinking that you are
> talking about one of those little $25 portable units. My biggest
> concern with one of those is that you would probably burn one of those
> out before finishing one batch. They are not built for constant duty.
>
> If you have a larger unit with a tank, you don't need to operate on
> much pressure at all. For the size brewing operation you are talking
> about. You only need 1 PSI to pump your air out a hose 25" under
> water. A bit more if you are forcing it out an air stone, but not much
> more.
>
> Some compressors can also put lubrication oil into the airstream. This
> is not a problem in the workshop, but it could be a problem with the
> tea.
>
> Then again, it may work just fine. I've never tried running one long term.
>
> Instead of worrying about the pressure, you should worry about the
> volume of the air you are putting into the brew. My current homemade
> in the bucket model creates what appears to be the equivalent of a
> good rolling boil in 5 gallons of tea using 3 cheapo aquarium pumps.
> What I like about them is that it is easy to add to the air volume if
> I need more. Just head down to walmart for another $10 air pump.
>
> Also at the suggestion of many here, I have ditched using airstones
> and have now gone with melting holes in tubing with some wire that is
> slightly smaller guage than hanger wire. In addition to giving bigger
> bubbles to help knock the critters from the compost, it makes the
> pumps more efficient by reducing the backpressure, or so the theory
> goes.
>
> I am also taking it slow when it comes to adding nutrients with the
> homemade brewer. I don't have a need to push the envelope the way the
> commercial brewer manufacturers do. Why risk having the tea go
> anaerobic just to get that last little little increase in the biology.
>
> If I needed tea of the quality turned out by the commercial brewers, I
> would buy a commercial brewer. They have spent the time and the money
> to do the necessary testing to push the limits.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:49:18 -0500, jallan6977_at_earthlink.net
> wrote:
> > carboy I can put ito the loop, but never fill. Unless some one tells me it is wrong, my air supply
> > will come from a car tire compressor through a cotton filter and finally the air stones. I can
> > reulate the pressure down and only have a low pressure. Or I can leave it up and just create a
> > small leak into my air line. Why didn't I try this before. I don't know. I am your average eigth
> > grade drop out.
> > It is so nice here so far I would amost say it was May not January..
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links