Re: [compost_tea] non-aerated teas?

From: <jallan6977_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:23:19 -0500
   I am talking about the size you would need for such as a paint
sprayer or nail guns.  If I can turn the pressure down low enough
that might be better than a controlled leak.  I am going to try
making a filter but if that doesn't help maybe a paint sprayer
dehydration filter will keep the crap out.  I have one or two fish
tank pumps but doubt they would be enough.  I will try the larger
bubble idea.  It sounds less likely to plug up.  If I take one quart
and leave it settle, would I be likely to see evidence of lubricating
oil?  The most commonly used air oil is straight mineral oil.  It
might not harm the critters.  I might even be able to get our local
Cornell Coop to just do a simple "look at" under a microscope to see
if there is an increase in life.  They might charge a few dollars to
do any kind of detailed study.  My budget is so tight I have to cut
corners eveywhere I can.

On 3 Jan 2005 at 18:29, David Anderson wrote:

> What size air compressor are you talking about?
>
> Since you mention the "car tire"part, I'm thinking that you are
> talking about one of those little $25 portable units. My biggest
> concern with one of those is that you would probably burn one of those
> out before finishing one batch. They are not built for constant duty.
>
> If you have a larger unit with a tank, you don't need to operate on
> much pressure at all. For the size brewing operation you are talking
> about. You only need 1 PSI to pump your air out a hose 25" under
> water. A bit more if you are forcing it out an air stone, but not much
> more.
>
> Some compressors can also put lubrication oil into the airstream. This
> is not a problem in the workshop, but it could be a problem with the
> tea.
>
> Then again, it may work just fine. I've never tried running one long term.
>
> Instead of worrying about the pressure, you should worry about the
> volume of the air you are putting into the brew. My current homemade
> in the bucket model creates what appears to be the equivalent of a
> good rolling boil in 5 gallons of tea using 3 cheapo aquarium pumps.
> What I like about them is that it is easy to add to the air volume if
> I need more. Just head down to walmart for another $10 air pump.
>
> Also at the suggestion of many here, I have ditched using airstones
> and have now gone with melting holes in tubing with some wire that is
> slightly smaller guage than hanger wire. In addition to giving bigger
> bubbles to help knock the critters from the compost, it makes the
> pumps more efficient by reducing the backpressure, or so the theory
> goes.
>
> I am also taking it slow when it comes to adding nutrients with the
> homemade brewer. I don't have a need to push the envelope the way the
> commercial brewer manufacturers do. Why risk having the tea go
> anaerobic just to get that last little little increase in the biology.
>
> If I needed tea of the quality turned out by the commercial brewers, I
> would buy a commercial brewer. They have spent the time and the money
> to do the necessary testing to push the limits.
>
> Dave
>
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:49:18 -0500, jallan6977_at_earthlink.net
> <jallan6977_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> > carboy I can put ito the loop, but never fill.  Unless some one tells me it is wrong, my air supply
> > will come from a car tire compressor through a cotton filter and finally the air stones.  I can
> > reulate the pressure down and only have a low pressure.  Or I can leave it up and just create a
> > small leak into my air line. Why didn't I try this before.  I don't know.  I am your average eigth
> > grade drop out.
> >    It is so nice here so far I would amost say it was May not January..
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links