Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: non-aerated teas?

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:01:38 -0500
Response to Kirk's post -

In my experience, most of the disease causing organisms are facultative anaerobes, and when oxygen drops too low, then  the disease-causers are in an environment that allows them to finally "win".

So, I'd really like to undestand the basis for your statement, Kirk, where you say the anaerobes are beneficial.  I don't have any evidence to say that is true.

And when other folks say they get good results from anaerobic tea, but they have done nothing to show that the tea is indeed lacking in oxygen, then I can't agree with their conclusion that they are using anaeorbic tea.

What they have evidence to show is that, when they don't aerate tea, don't put any food into the tea, then the tea can, sometimes, give some pretty interesting results.

But, that does not make the tea anaerobic.

Can we get that definition clear, please?

Kirk, you also wrote that some aerobes are dangerous.  Again, where do you have that as evidence?  Human pathogens that are found in sewage are facultative anaerobes.  There may be other fully aerobic human pathogens, but they are in completely different habitats than the ones we consider in the world of soil, or manures, whatever.

Your statement was:
"Most anaerobes are beneficial, some aerobes are dangerous, and facultative critters can be a problem are what I've learned here.  Only concentrations of nasties are a problem, though, not the method used to make the tea, hmm?"

I don't understand the last sentence either.  Would it be possible to clarify a bit, so I could understand?  The method used to make the tea results in good guys or bad guys growing, or not.  So, how could there be a blanket statement about method?

Not being nasty, not attacking, just wanting some help in having your thoughts made clearer.

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Links