Re: [compost_tea] Re: non-aerated teas?

From: John Cowan <vivax_at_northlink.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:16:34 -0700
This thread seems very vague - somebody's anaerobic tea made somehow containing some kind of organisms.

"Compost teas" contains active organisms, inactive organisms, enzymes, vitamins, hormones, minerals, humic acids, sugars, amino acids, proteins and no doubt other biochemicals. Do we know why it works? It depends on what you mean by 'works'. It does seem reasonable that implanting diverse organisms and supplying diverse nutrients other than just NPK can activate plants and the soil ecology to a substantial degree. I don't think that anyone knows the full repercussions of all the constituents individually or in combination.

If one applies 20 gals of CT to an acre of soil, one is applying something on the order of 1 or 2 ounces of active microbes (20 gal = 75 l, 500 ugms/ml or 0.5g/l) or about 1 gm per 1000 square feet. Total microbe weight would be something like several ounces per acre.

Can that much living material from CT transform an acre of soil? In a conversation with Brinton, he told me that he thought not and he was concerned that people were going through a lot of gyrations and expense for little in return (my summation). I told him that in my experience and that of others I know well that the effort was well worth it.

If the organisms in the compost or CT are anaerobes, what is going to happen when they hit decent dirt? Since the upper inches of the soil are aerobic they are going to go to sleep. Probably not much value except as food for protozoa.

Teas made with specific plant materials, in addition to the typical ingredients, are going to be rich in chemicals that that plant accumulated or created such as certain trace minerals or biochemicals with hormonal effects. Certain biochemicals maybe digested to the point of destruction during the full length brewing of a typical aerated compost tea. Try adding such materials nearer the end of the cycle. Facilitative tea digestion might be gentler. Is it better? Seems like one could do a lot of testing to figure out the details regarding the handling of just one material.

There are endless variations on CT ingredients and brew cycles. It has been expressed before that one should keep it simple. I think that is great for the casual gardener that wants to make compost tea but I guess I've been thinking (or hoping) that a fair percentage of this group wants to or is going beyond that notion. There are some exciting discoveries to be made and I'll bet that is why some stay with this list despite the downside of this type of forum.
New Page 1

John Cowan

Verde Valley Agri-Lab

Sedona, Arizona