Re: [compost_tea] Nnon-aerated teas: the quiz

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:49:18 EST

Hi Kirk -

The quiz question #1:
> 1. If you put fungal foods into a liquid containing both bacteria and
> fungi, would there be an increased oxygen demand that could drive the tea
> into reduced oxygen conditions?

Kirk's response:
Thinking of molasses, which can cause a rapid and dramatic reduction in O2
because of bacterial blooming - reproduction and mucho new mouths to feed -
and remembering that fungi don't multiply, only grow in tea-making, I am
guessing that there would be an increase in oxygen demand but not nearly as
great as that associated with bacterial foods, which is why I asked the
question.

So yes, I'd think there would be increased, but relatively lower oxygen
demand.

Elaine's response:

Going the right direction in answering the quiz! Good on ya!

But, is molasses really a fungal food? At high concentrations, yes. But the
experience that Scott, the daylily grower had suggested that it wasn't the
approach of choice in the large size brewers. Too much bacterial growth,
which drove the brew anaerobic almost instantly, despite roiling aeration.

But what if you added enough fungal foods to get the fungi growing as fast
as bacteria can grow? Then, would the oxygen demand be as great as when you
have bacterial growth? It is harder to do, but it is possible.

Fungal oxygen demand can be significant, so when you as if fungal tea brews
can go anaerobic (i.e., drop below 6 ppm for a significant time), the answer
has to be, yes, that can happen.

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa