Re: [compost_tea] oxygen

From: <garyjones_at_soilrestorationinc.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:11:19 -0800 (PST)

Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 is a highly reactive substance used extensively
for bleaching pulp.  It will definately affect microbes since it interacts
with the electon transfer mechanisms.  It will react with organic
compounds ( in high yield pulping... it deactivates the color bodies in
the lignin without actually dissolving the lignin thus whitening the
pulp... unlike CL2 or CLO2).  But as was said below it is highly reactive
which means it will affect things in the tea that are probably not
desired.  The good thing about H2O2, another reason it is used, is that it
does decay to H2O and O2 which are benign, again better than CLO2 or CL2
but still somewhat damaging to microbes.

Gary Jones
Soil Restoration Inc.