Re: [compost_tea] Truth or Fiction

From: butch ragland <wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:18:50 -0800 (PST)
To get some desease resistance the plant must change
geneticly. Then select the resistant strain that
developed while under stress. If you enoculate a large
number of plants, sooner or later one will appear that
is desease resistant. Of course you loose a lot crops
in the mean time. I'm sorry it doesn't work that way.
--- soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:

> I would be REALLY concerned to put diseases material
> straight  into an
> aerobic tea brew.  Especially if the disease has
> gone into a  dormant stage in the
> plant material, there isn't a means of killing the
> spores  in an aerobic brew.

> In a not-aerated brew, the spores are still a
> concern, but  they MIGHT be
> killed by the anaerobic conditions.

> but if the inoculum is really high going into the
> brewer, a 12  to 24 hour
> brew isn't enough time to deal with all the dormant
> stages of the  disease
> organisms.

> So, I couldn't recommend the practice.

> Elaine

> I was  told the suggestions for adding the diseased
> tomato matter to the
>
> compost tea  originated with Amigo (Bob) Cantisano.
> I  assumed it meant
> adding  plant matter to the brewer.  Anyone on this
> list who knows Amigo Bob
> might be able to check with him and  advise us.
> Judi

=====
Butch Ragland
Conflict is as addictive as