Re: [compost_tea] Re: Jill Clapperton at a no-till conference.

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:09:05 -0800

There has been some work done regarding biological diversity and continuity=
 when soils are not bladed. There are some immediate problems. However, I=
 think that no-till ag is probably quite a good way to go. However, one mus=
t be prepared to "jump" through all the hoops required for soil management =
of no-till just as one goes through a set of operations for tilling.

1. Untilled soil must have the crop residue left after harvest stay in plac=
e and be allowed to decompose.
2. The soil needs rest periods so untilled practices my be such that you ca=
n grow a specific crop every three years instead of every year using a more=
 or less normal rotation method.
3. Yield is different but I'm not sure how. I will have to research the re=
ferences to give exact information.
4. Tilling usually disturbs the biological content and diversity of the soi=
l. It brings more of the biota to UV exposure which zaps them quickly.
5. Stratification can be a problem but it is my understanding that this occ=
urs because of a lack of biodiversity and overdependence on fertilizers.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE